Staying Healthy on Vacation
The worst thing that can happen to a family is having a sick child, or even worse mom be sick, on vacation. It puts a damper on the whole trip! It’s important to have the best working immune system possible so that the body can fight off viruses and bacteria. Prepping the body’s immune system starts well before security check at the airport. It’s important to start weeks before so that the body is ready to put up it’s defense walls. If you have young kids and travel in the winter months (or any other month really), these tips and tricks are a MUST to follow so that sickness doesn’t get in the way of your getaway!
1. Hands down best piece of advice- avoid sugar, like the plague. Sure, I know what you’re saying, “I don’t eat cake, or ice-cream, or candy treats”. Yes those things I am talking about too, but what I’m also talking about is your “protein bars”, chips, pretzels, anything that comes out of your pantry cabinet. Friends, viruses, bacteria, the flu, it all lives off of sugar. Processed foods are made of sugar. You eat this stuff, you feed all the things that live in your body and make you sick. I know what you’re thinking, “I have kids, this is completely unreasonable.” Nope, it’s not. I load my kids up with healthy fruits and veggies for snack time for two weeks prior to leaving for a trip. They want something from the pantry? Sure, eat the fruits and veggies and then you can pick one to two things a day (example: pretzels with lunch, and a granola bar after school). If they don’t eat the good stuff, they don’t get the junk. Same thing goes with mom and dad! Make it a travel regimen, I promise not only will you be healthier but you’ll feel fantastic heading off on vacation!
Drink More Water
2. Water. Remember that tasteless thing that you are always kicking yourself in the butt for not drinking enough of each day? It’s important, drink it. It flushes out all of the bad things in your body which includes, yes you guessed it, sicknesses. It’s old news that 6-8 glasses a day is what everyone needs. Everyone is their own person in their own unique body. The healthy amount of water one needs is the following: Your weight in pounds/2= how many ounces a day you need to fully flush your body properly. So for example; if you weigh 150 pounds you need to be drinking 75 ounces of water a day, which also equals out to be 2 1/2 liters a day. Drinking coffee or tea on the regular? Those are diuretics which rob you of water in your body. Gotta replace each ounce of diuretics equally with more water. This rule applies to both adults and children. Skip the juice boxes my friends, give them water.
Stay Healthier with Vitamins and Supplements
3. Vitamins and supplements. Yep, I am one of those people, obsessed with taking things that make me healthier. I am a fan of taking vitamins and supplements because they give me the nutrients that my food cannot. For both my kids and I, we take a multi-vitamin and fish oil daily, but when we travel we add the below items to our daily regimen. We add in the below items for two weeks before our vacation, ON our vacation (yes, drag them to your destination), and two weeks after returning home.
- Congaplex by Standard Process. An immune booster with amazing immune boosting ingredients. Children: 1 in the morning, 1 at night. If your children cannot take capsules, empty the capsule ingredients into a small spoonful of applesauce. Adults: 2 in the morning, 2 at night.
- Viruchord by Energetix. Liquid drops that kill off viruses. Children and adults: 12 drops in the morning, 12 drops in the evening.
- Bacteriachord by Energetix. Liquid drops that kill off bacteria. Children and adults: 12 drops in the morning, 12 drops in the evening.
- Drainage Tone by Energetix. Liquid drops that open up the detox pathways to drain out the viruses and bacteria that Viruchord and Bacteriachord have killed off. Children and adults: 12 drops in the morning, 12 drops in the evening.
- Flu Tone by Energetix. Liquid drops that kill off flu strains (I only give during the flu season). Children and adults: 12 drops in the morning, 12 drops in the evening.
- Vitamin C by Biotics. Supplement (tablet or chewables available). Children and adults: 1 in the morning, 1 at night.
- Collidal Silver. Liquid drops that boost the immune system. Adults: 10ppm per day. Children 5ppm per day.
Eat Healthy Breakfast and Snacks and Save Money
4. While on vacation, stay in for breakfast and lunch. Do your homework, call the hotel and see if they have a fridge and microwave in your room, or better yet- just AirB&B it and you’ll have a full kitchen to stay healthy in. Another great tip, map where the nearest grocery store is so you know where to go as soon as you get to your destination. Whenever we travel and stay in hotels, I always stock up on breakfast, lunch, and snack foods. We also always bring a small cooler from home with a freezer pack. We’ve never had a problem going through security with our plane snacks packed in a small cooler. Well except one time, they made us throw away our hummus. Note to self: hummus is considered a thick gel, gotta be in 3 ounce containers!
If you are interested in some gut healthy foods to purchase at the grocery store, check out my list of GAPS diet gut healing foods on my free downloads page! You don’t have to be on a “diet” to eat gut boosting foods!
Choose Healthy Meals When Eating Out
5. Do not overindulge in eating out on vacation. I know, eating out is a fave of mine too! But, you don’t need to eat out three times a day and get fried food everyday. Foods that are fried are unhealthy in homogenized oils, which we all know are awful for you. And foods that are slapped with sauces and gravies are also unhealthy for you. Sauces and gravies are filled with unhealthy fats and tons of sugar. We’ve already determined that staying in for breakfast and lunches is not only healthier, but it will save you money, so be sure to head to the grocery store! For dinners, check menus before you head out. Our go-to restaurants must always include fish for me and my husband, and grilled chicken and veggies for the kids. Skipping fried fish and chicken is the way to go. Get it grilled, and get the sauces on the side. And just because you are out to dinner, doesn’t mean that it’s okay to skip the veggies. For our kids, I will usually get grilled chicken, salmon, or white fish and have veggies on the side, sometimes with a potato. Remember the tip earlier about eating the healthy to get the junk? Yep, it applies out too. Eat the healthy stuff and get the dessert kids!
Vacation Cocktail Guide
6. Cocktails. It’s just a part of our culture that you have drinks on vacation and while out to dinner. Choose low sugar drinks such as a liquor with soda and a ton of lemons and limes. If you want a glass of wine, have just one or two so that you don’t overload your body with sugar. One glass of wine can contain up to 20 grams of sugar- yikes! On average, a woman’s body can only break down about 28 grams of sugar a day. Yes, A.DAY. Having a glass of wine and one apple a day has already put you over the limit for the day. You always want to avoid too much sugar. Not only does it make you feel bloated the next day and leave you with a headache, the overabundance of sugar builds up on your cells leaving your organs left to not function properly.
Exercise on Vacation
7. Exercise. Everyone should know by now that exercising can lengthen the years on your life, make you feel great, and keep you looking amazing! Keep it up, get up early and exercise on vacation. Power walking, running, yoga on the beach. Just do it. Take the time to take turns with your significant other in the mornings while the kids are eating breakfast and relaxing with cartoons before you head out for the day. It’ll keep your mood boosted and give you energy so that you can really enjoy all of your adventures!
8. It’s super important to sleep everyday, but especially on vacation! Days tend to be longer with more activity than normal. Activities and adventures can lead to not only extra sleepy children, but also adults. Don’t be afraid to start snoozin’ at 8 or 9:00 everyday. Hey, sunrises are the best anyways, maybe you can catch a few with an earlier bedtime!
Have questions about my list?! Get in contact with me, I would LOVE to be a part of you and your amazing little fam staying healthy during travels so that everyone can achieve all of the planned adventures! The above suggested supplements are from high reputable companies. If you are interested in purchasing any of the above products, please get in contact with me about ordering!
Happy Healthy Travels my Friends!